Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Good deed

This afternoon, there was a blood donation camp organised by the local mosque in Cardiff along with Welsh health service. My work colleague coaxed me to come along to donate blood. I was a little reluctant to do it as it meant I had to walk 15 minutes to Cardiff university student union as thats were the camp was organised. Eventually, I made up mind and turned up. Initially, there were some forms to fill. Once that was done, nurses went through the forms and just repeated the same questions orally to make sure we really understood the questions in the form.. hmm.. Once this formality was completed, we were asked to lie down on the cot (refer to the picture). The nurse got ready to stick a needle, which looked like a needle used for cattle, in my left arm. Trust me, it was really huge. It hurt a little but after that, it was ok. They were collecting around a pint of blood which took about 10 minutes. Then we were asked to relax a little bit to recover from the terrible ordeal we been through and were also provided with some complimentary snacks and drinks (now you know why I turned up).

The very thought that the blood I donated could help save someone's life made the entire process very memorable. We also found some time to take group pictures. Most of the people (present in the picture) volunteered to help out the staff at the blood donation camp and spent the entire day there assisting them. A marvellous gesture from their side. I really feel that I will be a more willing participant in future blood donation camps (now that I know for sure that they do serve nice refreshments).

Digg It Indianpad

6 comments so far...

Archana Iyer said...

hey mahesh nice to know about this good deed which u have done today......... i always wish to donate blood but never got a chance to donate till today.....

Omer said...

Well done hero! I am sure you ate more than the 10 pints worth of blood you donated, hehe. Its really cool that you ended up going and getting the cattle needle :) Shabash HERO!

Sapna said...

mmmm Great...Well Done...but u didn't tell ....whats your blood group!!!!!

Sapna said...

mmmm Nice to hear that you donated blood and i liked the way you described the whole thing....Its was more like an operation theater scene..LOL but its really very strange that you donno you blood group.....Anyways keep it up...

Anonymous said...

dear mahesh,
good show. a few hours with us in the dabha has brought so much of wisdom in you!!.
mohan

My Reflections said...

Hey man!! ahhh yes i rem the same thing happ to me too and definitely i can rem the refreshment part. though i was a bit reluctant to take it i had a fr who was just so excited to hv a free refreshment time :)...definitely a very good post! keep it up..